ETA 4/2011: Since this post still gets a lot of traffic from search engines… the official Ravelry App has been canceled in favor of them improving the mobile Ravelry site. Read Casey’s explanation at http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/1465110/1-25#2.
I went to The Knitting Nest today for their Valentine’s Day Ravelry party. It was a fun time, and I’m sorry I didn’t think to bring a camera or take pictures on the phone. I also kind of feel like a fraud because someone else did have a camera, and I think got pics of me working with my drop spindle, probably ineptly since I’ve never actually plied and finished a handspun yarn. I’d forgotten that spinning tends to attract attention… not my goal, but Icarus is at the point of needing its charts, and I need to wind bobbins of Color B before I can do any more on my sock. There was a sale in honor of the day, and I picked up a nice llama/wool blend called Guanaco (no actual guanaco content, but I thought the name would amuse my camelid-loving husband). I’m going to try making fingerless gloves/wristwarmers from it, to ward off the sometimes Arctic chill in my computer room.
And now, on to the scoop: Ravelry iPhone app!
Sarah from the Ravelry staff was in attendance at the party, and she showed us the alpha version of Ravelry’s iPhone app. Just what I can remember:
- A Store Finder that will tell you what yarn shops are various distances from your current location.
- A button that takes you straight into your Ravelry notebook
- Another button for Patterns, so you can search for stuff that you haven’t queued or favorited
- A Forums area, that can (but might not only) display just threads that you’re watching, to cut down on the signal-to-noise ratio
- A Counters area that’s fully configurable to have counters with whatever name you want. Much like you can already find in free (StitchMinder) or pay (KnitBuddy) apps, but without having to leave Ravelry
- Er, there were six buttons, so there must be something else, but I forget what it was
I hope it’s not going to cause a kerfluffle that I’ve posted this, since it’s all in early stages still. The guys working on it are, A) guys, and B) computer guys. So they’re trying to make it fully-featured and perfect. Sarah has done her part for our gender by pointing out that we would be delighted to start using it with basic functionality that doesn’t crash, and delighted to pay for it once they have everything spiffed up the way they want it. Mr. Texturedknitter is an apps developer himself, so I know firsthand that being a pain in the ass about “when can we have it?” and “what will it do?” and “can you just add this one itty bitty esoteric thing that nobody in the world but me will want to use?” is emphatically NOT the way to get them to put it out any faster than in its own time. So don’t get me in trouble by bugging them, m’kay? (And if I get any requests to take this down, it’ll be gone.) Just do what I’m going to do — stalk the Site Announcement threads, and hope to get chosen in the beta testing lottery.